So Eric came over Saturday and helped me wire up the house. It took a few hours but we had 13 drops done. I wanted to get the most difficult one's out of the way while he was here. There was no way I could have done it solo. The drops we did were 6 in the office, 2 in the living room, 3 in the bedroom, 1 in the kitchen and 1 more in the the office one a different wall for the TV. Today I dropped 2 more in the spare bedroom along with 2 in the main hallway for cameras. That's a total of 17.
I spent the morning terminating each end with a wall jack and plate. After lunch my patch panel arrived. I had no idea what to do with it. So on line I went. I quickly realized I needed a punch down tool. Off to Radio Shack I went...they don't carry them anymore! WOW! The place where you used to be able to find all kind of basic electronic tools has shifted more toward consumer electronics. Home Depot had one...for $50! Fry's I went. They had a brand name basic tool for $11.
Back at home I punched down the office and then went back and forth figuring out which port was which and labeling them. I did the same for the bedroom. So far they all work...or at least make the hub light up when I plug something into it. I wired up the rest of the cables and figured the hard part was done.
I just gave up making basic network patch cables. I spent 30 minutes trying to make 1 foot cables....none of them work! I thought this would be the easy part. When I look at the order of the cables...they make sense. When I test them....nothing. I would spend more than $50 if I bought 18 one foot cables. I will try again in the morning.